Badges 8]



Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Am.

There's some things that never change from when we were kids. For me, it's sneezing. Every time I go out and into the sun, I sneeze. I also still watch 'kiddie' shows; shows like Bear In The Big Blue House, and Arthur. And the funny thing is, I don't think it will ever change. But to be honest, I don't really want it to.

You see, for me, childhood was bliss. I had everything you could ever ask for. My family fit Webster's definition of the word. But, now that I'm 'grown up'...life doesn't seem so...blissful. Then again, I think it's that way for every kid. All because of innocence. When exactly does innocence stop being so innocent? When we can cross the street by ourselves? Or when someone forces it out of us? The earliest memory I have lacking my innocence, was around Christmas time in first grade. We sat there in the front of the school across from the Christmas tree, and we whispered. But not a silly game of whispering back and forth, we were whispering about sex. Yes, sex. I knew what sex was; and here I was, not even six yet, talking about it with my friends.

As I look back and remember my past and all the stupid things I did or said, I can't help but smile and appreciate the fact that I did do them. All my hits and misses define who I am today and why I do what I do. I realize that it's common sense and that everyone knows that...but for me, it isn't the same. I've hit rock bottom and managed to find my way to the top again. I mean, I don't have the saddest life story, but I also don't have the happiest. But I made it through. And so, I am pleased to say that I, I am Brooke Runyan. Nothing more, nothing less.

No comments: